In this article I will demonstrate how to resolve the issue “NSX Edge configuration has failed. 1G hugepage support required” while upgrading NSX-T from 3.1 to 3.2 or later.
Last week I tried to upgrade NSX-T from version NSX-T 3.1.x to NSX 4.0.1 in one of my lab environments.
Upgrading NSX-T usually is very straight-forward in these lab environments, but not this time.
I started with uploading the NSX upgrade bundle (VMware-NSX-upgrade-bundle-220.127.116.11.0.20598726.mub) to the NSX Manager using the UI.
All lights were green on my pre-checks, but during the first phase of the upgrade (upgrading the NSX Edges) an error occured.
This particular lab environment was running on older HPE DL360p hardware with E5-2670 v2 CPU’s and because of those CPU’s the 1G hugepage support error occured.
To resolve this error, you must add custom Configuration Parameters to the NSX Edge VM’s to be able to complete the NSX upgrade.
Take the following steps to add custom Configuration Parameters and resolve your issue.
- Power Off the Edge VM.
- Navigate to the VM and choose Edit Settings.
- Navigate to the second tab: VM Options.
- Expand the Advanced section.
- Locate Configuration Parameters and choose Edit Configuration.
- Add configuration params and add the following line:
In name column: featMask.vm.cpuid.pdpe1gb
In value column: Val:1
Repeat the above steps for each Edge VM, move back to the NSX-T Manager and retry the upgrade.
After adding the custom Configuration Parameters, the upgrade process progresses succesfully, as shown in the following figures.
- KB87244 | NSX-T Edge Node Upgrade from 3.1.3 to 3.2 fails with “NSX Edge configuration has failed. 1G hugepage support required”
- Support for Large Page Sizes
- VMware Docs | Huge Pages
- vBlog | NSX related articles